Thursday, June 29, 2006

Day Eight - 062706 - Where I Live

Okay, so as mentioned before I live in Yokohama near the Isezakichojamachi subway stop. The picture on the left is of the subway arriving to take me to school. I take the subway, the Yokohama shiei-chikatetsu, two stops over to Sakuragicho-eki, pictured in the second picture, and from there I have to walk through a very large mall to get to the Minato Mirai building where school is.

So we had class again today, and everything went well regarding that though we had quite a bit of homework that has been keeping us pretty busy. Each day we have to write a nikki (diary) entry, memorize new kanji and vocabulary, keep up with our readings and occasionally write a script for weekly happyo (presentations). All told, it's been great practice, considering that I had been getting somewhat rusty.

Next to my "mansion" is a very large park which is quite interesting. According to a display in the subway, it used to be a river that was eventually filled into make the current day park. A picture of the display is shown in the third picture with a picture of the park in the fourth picture. The park is okay I guess, but the picture of the river with its many bridges seemed somewhat evocative, and I wondered what the rationale at the time had been. Couldn't they have just left the river there? Ah, progress.

In any case, after school, a couple of fellow students and I went to get a few drinks. The conversation started out normal enough but at a certain point things got a bit heated. I can't say that I was happy at the outcome, but sometimes personalities just clash, and when you add a few drinks to the mix, it can't always be good. Well, c'est la vie.

No comments: