Thursday, June 22, 2006

Day Two - 062106 - Rocking Down to Electric Avenue - contd.

I don't know why, but when I made a small correction to the previous post, the picture disappeared. Oh well, here I am posting that picture of Akihabara again, which with respect to Eddy Grant, I am referring to as "Electric Avenue" (great song by the way).

I should add that from what I understand, Akihabara has been changing in recent years, and that anime (along with porn) has become more prominent as a major revenue provider as other large electronics stores have grown to compete with the district's traditional dominance. As evidence of the anime aspect, I am here posting a picture of some girls that have been hired to dress anime-like to advertise in the area. As someone who, as a kid, was into anime (when it was much less trendy), I don't exactly know when it became a lifestyle, but it is just a little bit strange. I mean, I like my anime like the next person, but the whole "kosupure," or "costume-play" aspect of dressing up for conventions or even just to wear on the street is downright weird. Of course anime in Japan is a fully developed genre, and there are some amazing pieces out there such as Millennium Actress, Grave of the Fireflies, or Perfect Blue. But really, it's just a bit too much for me. But who am I to knock some people's worlds?

No comments: