Friday, July 14, 2006

Day Twenty-Three - 071206 - Train Lines and Trash

I don't have much to report on today since I spent most of the day studying and catching up on my sleep (probably more of the latter than anything). In any case the picture to the left is of a trash can on one of the train lines. Why you may ask? Because it's something of a rare sight since it is difficult to find a trash can on the train lines or the subways at all. At most they usually have places to deposit cans and the like for recycling, but no trash cans. The reason that I had heard before was that back in 1995 when the Aum Shinrikyo cult set off those big poison gas attacks on the subways, that they removed most of the trash cans to eliminate the possible risk that someone would put poison gas canisters in them. At least that's what I heard, but I don't know if that is the exact reason or not as to why it is difficult to find a trash can around here.

On a side note, it is interesting to note that there isn't much trash strewn about due to conscientious behavior on the part of most people, and the diligence of the cleaning crews. Quite a difference from most American cities where people seem to think that the whole world is one giant personal trash can.

No comments: